Friday, December 13, 2013

The Human Calculator...

One of those "Jesus, take the wheel" distances.
"So much for things going well."  That's what I was thinking during my lesson last week.  Recently my lessons had been going well, I had a great session with my favorite clinician,  and then we did well at a show.  And by that I mean that I rode pretty well, not just that I got nice ribbons.  So, quite frankly, I was  expecting that things would be on an upswing.

What's that they say about pride going before a fall?  Not that I had a fall, but I couldn't find a distance if you gave me a ruler and a GPS.  I was adding or subtracting strides like it was my job, hence the human calculator comment. (Wish I could say I made that up, but I saw it on a COTH Form and laughed so much it stuck with me). I would either chip in and floss my teeth with her mane, or leave out a stride and hope she sprouted wings.  God bless her, The Sainted Mare has a very good sense of humor, and she did her best to deal with every crap distance I got her to.

Frankly, I wouldn't have blamed her if she had decided she'd had enough and simply stopped and dropped me on my butt when I got her to yet another difficult distance.  I have no idea why some days I can find a rhythm and pace and other days I pickpickpick in the hopes of finding distance, or I gun her and find myself asking her to leave hopelessly long.

I was starting to feel like Charlie Brown kicking the football.  You know: Good approach, get to that last crucial moment and...AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!  Clearly I don't have Lucy to contend with, but I'm sure you get my drift.

 <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/055wFyO6gag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So anyway, there I was, trying and failing and cussing like a sailor.  I was sharing the lesson with my daughter and on the car ride home she said to me, "Mom, you were really frustrated.  I could tell, because I've never heard some of those words before!"  Stellar parenting moment.  Really, and the nominee for Mother of the Year is...NOT ME.

Oh well, onwards and upwards.  Try, try again.  And again.  And again.  And again............

2 comments:

  1. Live and learn, haha. It will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's time I teach you some weedgie expressions. You know, just to mix it up a bit. :)
    And I too swear (loudly and profanely) that I am doing the same thing, so why is Pippi not doing the same thing? How come I can do leg yields like a champ one day, but not the next? My Trainer once answered that by saying "that was Monday Pippi, its Wednesday today." Meaning stop comparing and just get the job done, back to basics. Remind yourself how to do and then do.
    So much easier said than done. Which is why I keep paying that woman to say stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete