Sunday, March 14, 2010

Continuing Education


One good thing about Sugar's stay on the IR is that I had some extra time. I figured if my riding wasn't progressing through actual practice, maybe I could spend some time learning more about the theory behind the practice.

I have almost 30 videos/DVDs on riding, horsemanship, and competitions. There are upwards of 25 horse-related books in my library -- books on riding, equine massage, equine fitness, horse management, nutrition, hoof health, breeding and equine locomotion. At any given time I have 1 or 2 of these books on my night table. Pretty much any morning you'll find me watching what my husband and I call my "game tapes" while I lumber along on my treadmill.

My hope is that by reading these books and watching the DVDs that I'll absorb SOME of the valuable they attempt to impart. Am not sure how much I have actually retained, but it's certainly not for lack of trying.

My friends tease me, but many of them borrow my books and DVDs. :) I'm certainly easy to buy for -- my B&N and Amazon Wishlists are peppered with horse books. I'm also a huge fan of Horsebooks etc for books and DVDs, and can spend days on The Horse Studio (http://www.thehorsestudio.com/) looking for new DVDs.

I'm afraid to calculate how much I've spent on my books and DVDs -- probably enough to fund a few lessons, maybe a clinic or two. However, I look at the opportunity to read works by the Masters and watch clinics taught by them as opportunities I'm not likely to be afforded, so I consider it money well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment