Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Priorities

Lately life has been a tad dramatic.  Been in the middle of finding a new barn for my horse, kids and myself, coming to the conclusion that what works for me and my rehabbing mare might not work for my kids, so looks like we may go to 2 barns instead of one.  Saying goodbye to friends, trainers, farrier, and other support personnel has been like breaking up times 20.  Add to that the fact that work has been insane, the kids' schedules brutal, and I'd have told you life was stressful.

That is, until we got the call that my brother-in-law was hospitalized with a swollen face and leg.  He's got a cardiac condition, so any health issue is more intense for him.  Long story short, it took the doctors two days to find out what was wrong, and when they did, it was a terrifying diagnosis.  Necrotizing fasciitis, or flesh eating bacteria.  They had to surgically remove the flesh surrounding his knee, he was kept in the ICU, and it was 48 hours of touch and go before we finally got word that he would not need more surgery and would recover. 

My brother-in-law is self-employed, with a wife and two kids, age 12 and 14.  This will be a challenging time while he's recovering and rehabilitating.  They're strong as heck, and will get through this, of that I have no doubt.  

Kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment