Friday, December 21, 2012

A Very Sweet Moment...

Noah and his pal James
It's probably an understatement to say been a rough few months for many folks, this last bit of 2012.  Our lives are more hectic than they've ever been, and sometimes it feels like the harder we try to get ahead, the faster we fall behind.  It often seems like every time I turn around there seems to be another horror in the news, or another sad happening in the lives of my family and friends.  So it's the precious little moments I try to treasure, and hold in my heart for the times when I am feeling overwhelmed and sad.  One of those moments happened last night while we were at the barn. 

To understand the reason it was precious, I'll need to give you some back story.  Several years and two barns ago, we were lucky enough to befriend a wonderful woman and her gorgeous Paint gelding.  She was very kind to my kids, and gave of her time generously.  Noah, in particular, enjoyed her company and would listen intently as she shared her knowledge of horses.  One time I remember clearly was when she was grooming her her gelding. Each time she approached him with a new tool, she'd show it to him, and tell him what she was planning to do with it.  She'd then let the horse sniff the tool before she began using it.  Noah took it all in.

Last night I thought of her when Noah was grooming James, a new horse he's been riding. James sometimes prefers that we are a bit cautious when getting near his head. Noah approached James with the comb to do James' forelock, and James pulled his head back before Noah got close. Noah held out the comb to James, letting the horse sniff it, explaining in a soft voice what the comb was and what he planned to do with it. He then combed his own hair, saying, "This is what I am going to do to your hair, James."  James watched Noah intently, then dropped his head and quietly let my son comb his forelock.

I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry.  Such a simple moment, but yet so fraught with memory and meaning.  Noah and I owe a debt of thanks to this friend who showed us a small way to gain a horse's trust, for showing us a way to have a moment like this with one of these miraculous animals.  I don't know if she had any idea what a gift she gave my son, or how proud it makes Noah feel when a horse shows trust in him.

I just wanted to take time during this crazy holiday season to share a beautiful moment with you, and to thank you all for the beautiful moments and memories you've all shared with me.

Be well, friends.




8 comments:

  1. I think those moments are what keep me sitting in hours of traffic to get to the barn on a daily basis :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a heart warming story. Aw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story on this dreary afternoon, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing a wonderful story. I have done the same thing with fearful horses - in fact, just last week, every time I'd change sides on the horse I was clipping I'd have to let him see and sniff the clippers. Otherwise he'd snort and try to back up. Guess he just had to make sure they hadn't changed? :-) They sure can be funny old things! (No, I didn't demo those on my own head, LOL)

    Let us all hope and pray that 2013 brings more GOOD news to us. Best wishes for a joyous holiday season to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet moment! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading this. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very sweet story, and most welcome in these dark days - daylight-wise and news-wise...

    My guy likes to approve of all implements before they make contact - although they haven't changed in the three years we've known each other.

    Warmest holiday wishes to you and your family - human and non! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh thanks for sharing! What a great story and reminder to enjoy every moment and not take these wonderful horses for granted.

    ReplyDelete