Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Let's Hear it for the OTTBs!!

Saw this video of Silva Martin (eventer Boyd Martin's wife) on Eventing Nation.  She's doing a dressage freestyle on Sea Lord, an OTTB that was campaigned by eventers Boyd Martin and Philip Dutton, but was later turned over to Silva as a dressage prospect.

Check out Silva and "Big Bird" as they show off the Thoroughbred's natural athleticism.  I love the nods to racing, in their racing attire, the "Call to Post", and in the music chosen for the freestyle.  I heard the Staple Sister's "I'll Take You There" from the movie Secretariat, and Dan Fogelberg's "The Run for the Roses."  I actually choked up during the video when I heard the first notes play.  In fact, I can remember hearing when Fogelberg debuted it.  I was sitting in my parent's living room and watching ABC's 1980 pre-Kentucky Derby coverage,  absolutely bawling my eyes out.  I think my parents were ready to commit me.  That was the year Genuine Risk won the Derby, becoming the first filly since Regret to do so.  I'd be interested to know if any of you racing aficionados/Kentucky natives can pick out any other musical homages to the Throughbred or racing in their music.

LOVE the extended trot bits, and how about that extended canter to halt at the end?




Also, if you want to have yourself a good sniffle, here's the video that originally appeared on ABC in 1980.  Dan Fogelberg premiering "Run for the Roses."


No comments:

Post a Comment