Thursday, September 15, 2011

Official Horse Geek Status and the FEI European Championships...

As you may know, the FEI European Jumping Championships are currently being held at the Club de Campo in Madrid, Spain.  A total of 16 nations will be competing, with the Swiss hoping to defend last year's Team Championship title and Individual Champion Kevin Staut looking to add to a very good year by repeating as Individual Champion. Additionally, countries like Ireland, Spain, and the Netherlands still looking to qualify for the 2012 Olympics in London.

I do my best to watch as much of the big championships as I can when they are on, and  most of my access to them is via my laptop.  At this point you might be thinking, So What?  Where's the geek connection? 

If you've been reading AWIP recently, you know I've been on a fitness kick in order to improve my riding.  Typically I get in a workout after my kids leave for school at 8 and before I need to start work at 9.  With the Europeans starting during that time frame the past two mornings, I needed to figure out a way to be able to workout and indulge my horse fix simultaneously.

My solution to my dilemma?  I decided to use my treadmill, and using some of my kid's toys and a couple pillows, I was able to prop my laptop in a (relatively) safe position where I'd be able to run and watch the rounds from Madrid.  WINNING!!!

I think this qualifies me for Horse Geek Club membership, don't you?  Just please, I beg you, don't tell my IT department what I did!

Results after Day One:
Individual:  Lord de Theize, Ridden by Olivier Guillon of France.
Team:  1. France  2. Germany  3. Sweden




No comments:

Post a Comment