Monday, October 26, 2015

I Bought The Lettuce!

Such a sweet-faced boy.
A week or so I wrote a post I called "Lettuce" about a horse I was considering buying.  In a nutshell, it was about my tendency to overthink/ overanalyze damn near everything, which, instead of helping me make decisions, actually paralyzes me and leaves me spinning in circles of doubt. (Suzanne Adams, if you're reading this, may I join the Convicted Over Thinker's club?)  The post was called "Lettuce" because a fellow crazy-horse-girl friend saw the colossal amount of time it took me to decide on a head of lettuce and totally understood why I would analyze something like buying my next horse eighteen ways 'til Sunday. 

So many wonderful readers commented and offered words of advice and encouragement that moved me closer and closer to making the decision. A longtime reader of AWIP, who goes by the name of Fiberchick, said something that galvanized me and gave me the impetus to finally do the deed. She said, "Buy that lettuce and enjoy the salad!"

So I bought the lettuce. His name is Indy, also known as LJS Endeavor if you want to get fancy. He's a 7 year old grey Oldenburg gelding, and he's just a big bundle of sweetness. He is the equine version of a big, fluffy puppy, he loves people, and he looks at everyone with an adorable little boy face that seems to say, "Hi! I'm Indy! Who are you? Wanna play?" 

He's got a great brain, which is what really attracted me to him in the first place.  When I rode him the first time a pony came running up behind us, bucking and snorting.  Indy just cocked an ear.  One time I rode him in the outdoor ring on a cold, windy, drizzly day. No issue for Indy, he couldn't have cared less. One day after a lesson I took him away from the ring and the other horses for a walk in the fields.  He went on the buckle, looking around with interest but no apprehension. He didn't care one bit that he'd left the rest of the herd behind. 

The biggest selling point, however, was the day  I took a lesson on him and rode abysmally.  I mean I was galactically awful. I couldn't find a distance even if I'd had a GPS. That poor horse had to get us out of one jam after the other, and he did it without a single complaint.  No snarkiness, no grudges, although God knows either would have been justified.  He just continued on to the next fence.


Hi!  Is it playtime?

There's a nearby horse park that I love riding at which has lots of trails and cross country jumps.  Indy's been there, done that, and gone through the water complex, which was another huge point in his favor.  I love doing hunter paces, and I'm looking forward to going through water without a half-hour discussion first.  God bless the Sainted Mare's heart, she did NOT like the water.

I've been concerned that when I did get my next horse that I'd do the comparison thing.  I've stopped worrying about that.  This is going to be such a different journey, there won't be any grounds for comparison.  I'm thinking it's like my kids. They're both wonderful kids, but they are vastly different personalities, and comparing them to each other would be pointless.  Good brains aside, Indy and Sug couldn't be more different, and that's going to be the fun part of this journey.  Sug was 12 when I got her, and most of her job was  teaching me.  Indy is younger, and while I will definitely be learning from him, I'm thinking I'll be teaching him as well.  I always felt Sug and I were peers.  I have the sense that in this new partnership I'll be more of the Mom figure. And I'm totally good with that.

So, to Fiberchick, Karley, Anonymous, Lindsay,  Liz, SprinklerBandit, Marissa, thestorysofarequestrian, and Kitty Kat, a huge thanks for your encouragement and support!

I bought the lettuce. And now I'm going to enjoy the salad. 



19 comments:

  1. He's gorgeous!! So glad you got him and I hope you two continue to have a total blast. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new family member, he's very handsome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I capslocked all over your FB post, so I'll refrain from doing that here. But know that I am soo, soo happy for you! PS, buy stock in Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover, it's your new best friend :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot!!!!!! Can't wait to see more of this handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We STILL haven't popped the champagne to celebrate this. Now that it's live on the blog can we get around to that????

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for you! What a handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful news!!! Congratulations, my friend! Can't wait to meet your new boy. ❤️🐎❤️ Alison Ward

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! This is very exciting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!! I'm so happy for you. Congrats!! For a second I thought that you had changed his name to lettuce. He's really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah i'm so excited for you - congratulations!! can't wait to read more about Indy!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! Look at those dapples!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is ADORABLE. That's all. :) Congratulations!!!

    (And may I add, my very favorite color and basically my dream horse, a younger but ammy-friendly, very sweet horse. You did good!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sweet face! Fingers crossed for this fun new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yaaaayyy! Congratulations. Coincidentally, there's a newer horse at my barn named Indy with the SAME FACE (although bay instead of gray) with THE SAME personality! He's getting along great, so I'm sure that karma's way of saying your Indy is gonna be awesome too :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats Amy! I think his personality is adorable and you looked great together. I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete