Friday, May 13, 2011

Book Titles I Never Thought I’d See…..

I’m going to preface this entry with the admission that I am a voracious reader. I am also going to admit that I have been known to step outside the genre of classic literature and have shown a decided predilection for what is commonly called “chick lit.” Biographies and numerous equine related tomes also take up considerable space on my night table and book shelves.

That being said, it was with abject repugnance that I saw, on a recent trip to Barnes & Noble, a biography of the Kardashians next to one on Nelson Mandela. Shock! Horror! Really, is any more coverage of the Kar-trashians even necessary? And please tell me that whomever placed the two books adjacent to each other was having a giggle of galactic proportions. That’s like setting a biography of Mother Theresa next to one of Jenna James, for cripes sake.

Anywho, today’s mental ramble is inspired by books, but comes from a different angle. More along the lines of books that one would never have imagined would get published. Guess there's a always a chance...

This morning a friend of mine mentioned this book on her blog, ‘The Big Book of Lesbian Horse Stories.” I admit, the sensational nature of the title had me Googling it and checking out the entry on Amazon.com. No judgment, just wanted to find out if the book was about what the title would lend one to think it would be about, or was just capitalizing on sensationalism to capture readership.

While I was there, Amazon suggested the following books to me.  Clearly, the end of the world is closer than I thought...


Crazy Buttocks

Sex in A Tent (Really?  Do we need a tutorial?)

Stray Shopping Carts
(I guess someone with a LOT of time on their hands wanted to find out where the lost ones go...)
Who Cut the Cheese: A Cultural History of Farts
( Cultural?  Oh yeah, when you think culture, you definitely think fart! My personal fave.)

No comments:

Post a Comment