Thursday, March 10, 2011

This Is One Baby Shower I'd Love to Go To...

Have you heard??  Rachel Alexandra's going to be a Mommy!  On March 7th it was announced by her people that 2009 Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra was, in fact, knocked up, preggers, enceinte, in the family way, had a bun in the oven -- use any euphemism you wish, the indisputable fact is in 11 months she's going to going to give birth to a baby that will be the equivalent (in the thoroughbred world) of any child resulting from Kate Middleton and Prince William's upcoming nuptials.

The steed responsible for the deed is two-time Horse of the Year (2007 & 2008) Curlin.  Apparently Rachel put out on their first date, which took place at 9:00 AM on February 21st at Lane's End Farm in Versailles (that's pronounced Ver-Sales, for the uninitiated) Kentucky.  The racing world is on fire contemplating the possible athlete this particular gene pool could provide.  One can only imagine it would be the equine equivalent of a Michael Jordan and Babe Didrikson Zaharias.

Lest you think I'm crazy for mentioning the baby shower angle, let me assure you I'm not the first to do so.  The folks over at ESPN's Page 2 beat me to it when they interviewed Assistant Trainer Scott Blasi. Sigh....Might not make me any less crazy, but hey, it's nice to have other loonies in the bin!

Rachel Alexandra's not the only much-hyped horsie hussy that's in the breeding news these days.  Reigning Horse of the year Zenyatta also had a much publicized date with a horsie hunk.  On February 23rd she and Bernardini got together, and today the racing world recieved the news that she is, as they say, "with child."  The happy news was confirmed by Zenyatta herself in her diary.  The diary is actually written (remember, Zenyatta, although pretty darn incredible, does not possess opposable thumbs and cannot type) by Dottie Ingordo-Shirreffs, the wife of Zenyatta's former trainer John Shirreffs.  And people say I'm a little bit loopy...

I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to seeing the offspring of these great champions and having fantasies of a potential Triple Crown showdown between them...

Whaddaya send one of these Moms-To-Be as a shower gift?  Foal halters?  Foal blankets? Or just lots of peppermints, carrots, apples, and Stud Muffins?

2 comments:

  1. I love this article! For horse folks it's better than People magazine! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in sixth grade, my parents bred a mare and my sisters and I did have a baby shower for her. Gifts were treats, we got a leather foal halter and a creep feeder. I still think its a good idea, so you are not the only loopy one!

    ReplyDelete